Cobourg’s museum will open next year
By Cecilia Nasmith, Northumberland Today
COBOURG — A June 2012 opening date has been set for Cobourg’s first heritage centre.
The property at the corner of Orr and Durham streets, which contains The Barracks, will open as the Sifton-Cook Heritage Centre, with exhibits related to the town’s 175th anniversary of incorporation, it was reported at the Cobourg Museum Foundation annual general meeting.
The Barracks is the name of the old limestone building that has been cited as being the oldest building in Cobourg, dating back to the earliest years of the 19th century. Research shows that it may have been a military depot that supplied troops during the war of 1812. There is evidence that it was also a blacksmith’s shop at one time. It is believed to be the only limestone building ever constructed in the area. … read more at Northumberland Today